Saturday, December 1, 2012

Let's talk politics.

I'll preface this by saying I got into this discussion with my fab friend Sam earlier this evening. And it made me super frustrated - so much that I had to do some retail therapy. After a new cashmere infinity scarf and a gorgeous holiday dress, I feel much better. So much that I'll revisit this again. 


I hate politics. I hate that people get so worked up over "their side" that it invites hatred. One of the things I was taught from an early age is to never bring up religion or politics in a casual conversation, because they are both incredibly polarizing issues. My daddy is a wise man. 

Liberals hate conservatives. Conservatives hate liberals. This is an interesting debate for me, because I have always been a registered Independent, but have, until recently, identified more on the Republican side of things. More socially liberal, but fiscally conservative - leaning overall toward conservative values. 

Liberals think conservatives are uptight. Prudish. Jesus freaks. Controlling. Conservatives think liberals are all on welfare. That they all act like victims. They are all jealous and envious, because Republicans make all the money. Liberals are baby killers. 

And quite frankly, I'm tired of it. Mostly, I think this country sucks. Our politics suck. Our appropriation of money sucks. Our laws mostly suck. And people need to quit bitching at each other and accusing each other of being the problem. 

I believe the government should not have any say in what happens in my uterus. I believe I am entitled to healthcare that includes birth control. I believe we spend way too damn much on our military. I believe we involve ourselves in foreign wars to appear macho and we need to quit flexing our muscles. I believe we need to pour more of our money into educating our children and allowing young adults to afford a college education. I believe in small government, and I believe in equal rights for everyone, regardless of sex, gender, or sexual orientation. I believe we should take better care of our veterans who come home. 

Banana Republic, please hire me as a model.
I believe in people. I believe people are our greatest asset, and they are worth the investment. I believe we need to get out of our own way and treat others with love - the way you would want to be treated. 

Speaking of the way I want to be treated, I also just treated myself to this gorgeous sweater. So every time I wear it, I will be thinking of how I just preached that we need to treat each other with love. 

As I close this, I just received a breaking news notification that another US base has been attacked in Afghanistan. Whenever I hear news like that, I am immediately grateful that I don't have anyone I love over there right now. Then, I wonder what in the world we are still doing over there. And lastly, I'm saddened. Attacks like these are a reminder of how little respect and love we have for one another. 

Love your neighbor as yourself. 

xo! 

No comments:

Post a Comment