Monday, November 26, 2012

20 things I'm thankful for

I didn't do the 30 days of thanks thing. Obviously. But I think it's important, so here's the start of my list. I'll finish it in a few days, when I don't have to be at work six hours from the time I'm posting.


1. I am thankful for my family. My parents have provided me with this amazing home and my car, and I only have to pay for maintenance and "extras." It is such a huge burden lifted off my shoulders when I have outrageous student loans!




2. I am thankful for my tutoring clients. This job just sorta landed in my lap, and while it's been a mix of frustrating and rewarding, I absolutely love what I do.

3. I am thankful for library books. I read like a demon, and I would be completely broke or bored out of my mind if I didn't have a library card.

4. I am thankful for my friends. Each person I have let into my life has impacted me in some meaningful way.

5. I am thankful for my little bird. Just over two years ago, I took this little asshole home and she brightens my every day.

6. I am thankful for free wine. My crummy job gives me free wine every once in a while, and sometimes that's the only thing that keeps me going!

7. I am thankful for communication. It's hard to imagine that 50 years ago, the main method of communication was still snail mail. I love that I can call my mom to discuss wedding plans, or that I could email Kyle when he was deployed and have a response within 24 hours. We take so much for granted!

8. I am thankful for flowers. My mommy sent me flowers last week, and they completely brighten up the room.

9. I am thankful for amazing coworkers. I might not love my job, but I love the people I work with. I spent Thanksgiving day with one of them and her family, and I hear daily how much the rest of the wine team appreciates me.

10. I am thankful for a rewarding job. It may sound silly, but I get so much satisfaction out of recommending wines I know are going to blow people away. And when people come up to me to thank me for an amazing class, or a great recommendation, it makes my day.

11. I am thankful for my financial smarts. I have three sets of student loans. One is paid through February. One is paid through December of next year, and the other through January 2014. It is such a relief to know that if I was in a bind, I wouldn't have to worry about those payments for a while.

12. I am thankful my parents fostered an environment for learning. I have always sought to better myself in everything I do - whether it's learning more to perform at a higher level in my job, to better clean my home, or for personal gain.

13. I am thankful I am able to live with no regrets. In high school, I made it a goal to learn from my mistakes and not to regret anything I've done. I've been incredibly successful and I think it has made me a happier person.

14. I am thankful I'm not a cow. I started off this year tipping the scales at a number higher than I ever have before. I was incredibly embarrassed and couldn't fit into most of my clothes. I can say today that I have lost nearly 30 lbs. since January because of my hard work and dedication to my goals. And I might not be quite where I want to be yet, but I think I have a pretty bangin' bod!

15. Speaking of goals, I am thankful for my 101 list! It was a project I started on a whim with a few friends, and has turned into something truly defining for me. I love setting goals and achieving them, and even though I might not make all 101 a reality in the time frame I set for myself, it has been incredibly rewarding to cross off what I have.

16. I am thankful for Couchsurfing. I have met many amazing friends - both surfing and hosting. My Europe trip wouldn't have been the same without that website and the amazing people on it.

17. I am thankful for all the songs on the radio at work that are not Christmas music. And also for the ones that are not Taylor Swift.

18. I am thankful that my family doesn't "do" Christmas. The older I get, the more I appreciate that decision. I think it's incredibly wise not to fall into the commercial trap that Christmas has become.

19. I am thankful for my education. While it may not have landed me an amazing job, I had so many life-changing experiences while in college that have shaped who I am.

20. I am thankful for Obamacare. It is allowing me to stay on my parents' insurance even though I am not currently in school, saving me thousands of dollars per year.

We have a lot to be thankful for!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment