Sunday, August 21, 2011

I'm home! And cooked something new.


I tried a new slow-cooker recipe last night! I had about 6 lbs. of bone-in chicken breasts in the freezer that needed to be used up, and Kris and her family came over for dinner, so I thought it seemed like the perfect time!

I generally don't use bone-in chicken because to me, it's a pain. Grilled, it's okay. Otherwise, it's really hard to work with. This recipe, though, is with wine so I figured even if it is a pain to eat, it will be tender, so hopefully worth it!



Chicken with white wine sauce

5 bone-in chicken breasts, skin removed and trimmed
5 carrots, cut in 1/2-in pieces
3 ribs celery, cut in 1/2-in pieces
3 cloves garlic, minced
thyme
oregano
parsley
salt
ground black pepper
1 can reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 ½ c. Sauvignon Blanc (any other dry white wine would probably work as well)
red potatoes, quartered
1 yellow onion, sliced

Put the veggies in the bottom, and cover with the chicken. Dump the spices on top of the chicken, and pour the liquid over everything. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours!

Then I thickened the sauce so I could pour it over the chicken and wild rice for serving. 3 Tbsp butter + 3 Tbsp whole wheat flour. Mix it together, and pour in a few cups of the cooking liquid. Heat it until it bubbles, and then continue to heat until it is the consistency you want.

It was SO good. The only complaint I had is that everything fell off the bone, so getting the veggies out was a pain without getting a big ladle full of bones as well.


The night before, I also tried to recreate the delicious veggie stuff that I had at the Prague Marriott. I cut up an eggplant, two zucchinis, two yellow squash, and a red pepper. Cooked it all up in ½ c. butter until everything was soft. Drizzled with balsamic vinegar and served. DELISH.

Unfortunately, again I didn't get photos, so this doesn't count as one of my 50. I'll remember eventually.

I do have another update that perhaps will go on the other blog. First update in a few months, so if you follow that one, check for something new shortly.

And with that, I'm off! I have another ballet fitness class this morning and should probably do some cleaning. I have a big to-do list today. :)

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment